UCL Gayo Daejeon 2022
Director of Photography and Editor
UCL Gayo Daejeon 2022 presented itself as a great opportunity to implement and learn skills related to filming live performances. Using multiple cameras and spending many hours editing footage, the end result provided the members of UCL K-Pop Society with a worthwhile and high quality video to look back on and reminisce about their time on-stage.
As the Director of Photography for UCL Gayo Daejeon 2022, I took immense pride in capturing the essence of this event in its debut year, which showcased the exceptional talent and diverse performances of the various leaders and students at UCL K-Pop Society. My experience included implementing a multi-camera system, which ensured coverage from multiple angles and vantage points. With a keen eye for detail and learning about colour science through online forums and videos, I graded and edited the footage from F-Log and Blackmagic RAW, harmonizing the visuals to create a cohesive and captivating visual narrative. My technical knowledge and experience enabled me to produce a high-quality end product; a step above the slew of K-Pop in Public or Showcase videos currently on YouTube. This ultimately elevated the production value and impact of the event, with Gayo Daejeon returning in 2023. Throughout the project, I collaborated closely with the performers, producers, and my team, fostering an atmosphere of teamwork that culminated in a visually stunning and unforgettable production, captured on video.
- Implemented a multi-camera system to capture the performances, with wide-angles and close-ups
- Used and operated a Fujifilm X-T2, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K and JVC Camcorder for recording video
- Used and operated a pair of Rode NT5 MP condenser mics for a stereoscopic room recording of the event
- Recorded sound on a Zoom H6
- Edited footage using Adobe Premiere Pro and created a schedule of release over a period of three months
- Graded footage from F-Log and BMP RAW to SDR
- Incorporated zoom effects, transitions and cuts to create a seamless and visually pleasing narrative
- Edited sound on Adobe Audition, mixing in audience reactions and more
- Created introduction and end screen graphics
- Delivered 16 videos in total with a combined viewership of over 10,000
I would like to thank my camera assistant and “VCR” producer and editor, Jenifer Jeyason, without whom this would not be at all possible.
To view the full playlist of videos, click here to be taken to UCL K-Pop Society’s YouTube. There are also two of the videos linked directly below.
Director of Photography
IZ*ONE | RUMOUR, ITZY | SORRY NOT SORRY, led by Sandra
NCT 127 | INTRO, STRAY KIDS | THUNDEROUS, CRAVITY | JUMPER, led by Susan